According to Thales Academy Founder and Chairman Bob Luddy, each campus operates under the same underlying mission to cultivate tomorrow’s leaders by teaching students how to think, rather than telling them what to think. It does this specifically through its research-based method of direct instruction. The carefully planned approach to teaching, referred to by most faculty as simply “DI,” is a hallmark of Thales Academy. Although it is fast-paced and rigorous, the program is proven to effectively teach all types of learners at all ability levels by encouraging high engagement and expecting vocal participation. The program also reinforces individualized education in the following ways:
- Students take a placement test to determine appropriate placement in the core subjects of Reading, Math, Spelling and Language Arts.
- All students of one single skill level are placed in a classroom together and taught at a pace and level appropriate for their abilities.
- Informal assessments are given daily throughout each lesson to determine immediate retention.
- Formal assessments are given every 5 to 10 lessons to determine full comprehension.
- Formal and informal tutoring and extra practice are administered as needed to most effectively help students reach mastery before advancing to the next lesson.
- Teachers meet frequently to assess student progress and determine whether additional actions should be taken to help students succeed, including shifting students to different skill level groupings as needed.
“live, work, play and learn” in Chatham Park, both in and out of the classroom. It’s a great jumping off point—and only the beginning for the community, which has also committed to making a school seat available to every child who lives in the development. For more information about Thales Academy, visit thaesacademy.org. You can also listen to the “Thales Academy” episode of Chatham Park’s podcast—the go-to resource that give you a behind the scenes look at the people, places and projects that are coming together to create the perfect community.